My good friend and colleague Johnny B from the time I had my own therapy business, was a quite excellent marriage and family counselor.
The funny thing about him was that in his private life he had a really bad record with relationships.
Several times divorced and a couple dozen horror story relationships later he couldn’t hold a girl friend for more than three month without getting into fights.
He often came to me for personal advice and I would listen to him and offer the best advice I had to offer – It is a professional thing we did.
Any way, to make the story short, one day he caught me tired, burned out and not in the mood to listen to his soap opera love life.
I told him:
- You are an expert in relationships, what advice would you give a guy that came to you with the very same problem.
He told me what he would say to this imaginary patient, and then I said to him:
- Now you have it, you know what to do.
- That wouldn’t work for me – He said.
- Why not. It works for your clients, doesn’t it?
- Yeah, but they don’t know that the whole thing is only BS.