SHARE

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Confessions of a junk news junkie

It was not a long time ago when I would spend endless hours in front of my TV and laptop, ingesting more “information” – read junk – than any human being could possibly digest. I was up; I was down, ecstatic or terrified. Like Rocky in an epic fight I was taking punch after punch – the war, the primaries, the debates, the mortgage mess, and every time I would get up and ask for more. It was on that faithful Monday 9-29-08, watching the stock market collapsing before my eyes, white knuckles, gasping for breath, desperate like a drowning man, looking for some sign of hope, for something to hang to, when I broke down. Defeated I went to my back yard and started pruning my orange tree. I asked myself – why are you killing yourself for? And the answer came to me: “NOTHING” It’s all an illusion folks! The war, the stock market, the elections, just an illusion. You know what the funny thing is? For the last 25 years I’ve been working in Hollywood in the illusion factory. Yup, I was one of the people that brought to you the soaps, the “reality” shows, the infomercials… yet I was the one watching the TV an unable to see the BS, damn we are really that good! Let me tell you a little secret about TV. How you can tell if something is real or fake: - If it is on TV it is fake! Do you think you are watching the news? Nope! You are watching a puppet show. Behind any anchor man or woman, behind every political candidate there is an army of professional people “experts” in charge of research, polling, analyzing and telling them what to say, how to say it, what to do and how to do it. Everything from the attire and shoes to the hair style, the way they smile, wink or gesticulate is measured, rehearsed and carefully choreographed. Hoards of political analysts are constantly poling and analyzing what you think, what you want, what you like and dislike. Everything is design for one thing and one thing only: Mass control and manipulation. The politicians will say and do anything to win and keep an election. If the experts say “change” has traction with the public opinion McCain will embrace change and talk about it like its own idea! If the experts say being a pacifist is a bad idea, Obama will become more hawkish than a right wing republican! By November 4th, they both will sound just the same, the only thing different will be the color of their skin. Don’t fool yourself. There is no original thought out there, no genuine, honest, open expression. Everything is scripted, rehearsed and acted. You are watching a puppet show!
I stopped watching TV. Now I get my news on the net. The news I want, the news I choose. I started my own blog – as you can see. It was just a way of venting out my frustration but now I really started to enjoy it. My next project: Looking for intelligent life on the net. I know there is a community and a place out there where I belong, and I’m sure I’m going to find it. Wish me good luck.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Buddha,
Just saw your comment over at Yoga for Cynics. You can't go wrong following Jay's blog, that's for sure.

Buddha said...

Thanks Lydia! You just made my day!

Lydia said...

BoH,
Great :)
Check your email, as I just left a reply to your message.